Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
110g All-purpose Flour
31g Cocoa Powder
100g Caster Sugar
75g Brown Sugar
1tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
1tbsp Coffee Powder
60ml Vegetable Oil
2no. large eggs
1tsp Vanilla Essence
60ml Hot Water
FOR THE WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE
100g Cocova’s Curious dark chocolate buttons
200ml Heavy whipping cream
Roasted Hazelnuts: 100gms
Fresh Figs: 2-3 pieces
For the Chocolate Cake
- Brew the coffee using hot water and coffee powder. Leave it aside to cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 10mins. Grease a 6-inch cake tin and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together the vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla essence till everything is well combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a spatula until it becomes like a smooth batter. Pour the brewed coffee into the batter and mix well using a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the cake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes. Baking time may vary depending upon the oven. To check if your cake is done, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Remove the cake from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let it cool down completely before removing it from the baking dish. This may take 2-3 hours for the cake to completely cool down. You can also prepare the cake the night before.
For the whipped chocolate ganache
- Chop Cocova’s Curious dark chocolate buttons into smaller pieces and place it into a medium heat-proof bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the whipping cream on medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat and pour it over the chocolate buttons.
- Let the cream rest over the chocolate buttons for 2-3 minutes after which gently start to mix the cream and chocolate together using a spatula.
- Keep stirring the chocolate slowly till everything is well combined.
- Cover it with a clean wrap and leave it at room temperature for 2-3 hours to cool down and thicken.
- Once the chocolate ganache is cool enough, transfer it into a bowl and using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the ganache until it is light in color and texture. This will take you about 4-5 minutes.
- Your whipped chocolate ganache is ready. This will be used to cover the cake.
- Level the cake using a serrated knife by removing a thin layer of the top layer.
- Place the cake on a cake stand. Using a serrated knife, divide the cake into 2 layers carefully.
- Once you have 2 round layers, put the first cake layer on the cake board.
- Using an icing spatula, evenly put a layer of whipped chocolate ganache. Add chopped hazelnuts to it.
- Now put the second layer on the top and again spread the whipped ganache over it.
- Using an icing spatula, cover the entire cake i.e. the top and sides with whipped chocolate ganache.
- Garnish the cake with hazelnuts and fresh figs.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour before serving.